Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Fare Thee Well Sister!!!

My sister is 4 years older than me. When I think about the relationships in my life, the most complicated one that I had or still have is with my sister. This doesn’t mean that there is love lost between us. Infact there is nothing that we won’t do for each other. It’s just that we don’t share a normal sisterly kind of a relationship.
My sister moved in with my grandparents in Dehradun when she was 4 years old. Right about the same time that I was born. I actually don’t have any memory of my sister before she moved back to Mumbai to stay with us. I was about 6 then.
We are poles apart. As different as can be!!! Our nature, our likes, our food habits, social skills…are all so different. While growing up we would have such fights…it would put boys to shameJ. Over the years, the cat fights have disappeared..thank GodJ. I think both of us always had a problem expressing ourselves to each other.
So as my sister Anjali and her family prepares to move to Canada in a few weeks, I want to pen down a note for her (I believe I can express myself better when I write so hopefully this note will say it all).

My dear Sister,

As a family we have undergone our share of struggles and what helped us triumph in the end was the bond we shared as a family. Over the years, we moved on and created our own lives. Sometimes we disregarded each other, ignored opinions and suggestions, held our own ground even when we knew we were in the wrong…but the bond never broke and only got stronger.
We have been so little together since we both got busy with our respective lives. Even though I don't always get a chance to show it, I hope you know that you're very important to the happiness... that lives within my heart. Most often when I think of you, I find myself filled with lasting gratitude for all the things that lovingly tie us together.
As the years pass and the story of our extended family grows even more complete, one of the sweetest things will always be the smiles that you have inspired to all the people in your life.

Having you as a friend and sharing such a special kinship has given me memories I wouldn't trade for anything. And I know that even if there are times when our two families are far away from each other, our hopes and our thoughts... will always keep us close together.

As you begin the new and exciting chapter in your life, I leave you with John Keats…It echoes my sentiments exactly!!!

“I have so much of you in my heart that I must turn a Mentor when I see a chance of harm befalling you. I would never want to see anything but Pleasure in your eyes, love on your lips, and Happiness in your steps. I would wish to see you among those amusements suitable to your inclinations and spirits; so that our love might be a delight in the midst of Pleasures agreeable enough, rather than a resource from vexations and cares”.
God bless you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment